18 March 2008

NoSpace

I have a long-standing policy of not belonging to any of the social-networking sites. I was going to say I have resisted joining them, but I haven't really resisted, because there wasn't anything to resist; I just didn't care. I have no need to be on MySpace because it's for kids, bands, and would-be predators, and I'm none of those. Facebook is for the college crowd, I'm not LinkedIn, and mercifully, I don't Twitter (it has "twit" right in its name, that's a pretty clear sign to stay away).

Due to my stubborn and contrary nature, I often resist doing things precisely because others are doing them. At times I have been asked or prodded to join one of these networks for various reasons. My friend Sandra has tried on numerous occasions to get me to join one or more of these sites. More recently, my former boss invited me to join Facebook, which I politely declined. (I hope he wasn't offended, but I didn't hear back from him, so...) Even if I was interested in joining, after some of the things I've heard about how hard they made it for people to cancel, I'd have second thoughts about it anyway.

The truth is, I just don't really like people all that much (which, if you've been paying attention at all, should be fairly obvious). I'm over 40, rather set in my ways, and have a decent complement of friends already. I have all the social network I need. That's not to say that if I met you for the first time tomorrow, we wouldn't become friends. I'm just happy with the way things are. But there's a new twist to all this, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

The Mrs., who if anything cares less about this stuff than I do, has joined Facebook at the urging of her sister, so they can play Scrabulous, the Facebook version of Scrabble. The really strange part of this is not that she joined, but that she would do so to play Scrabble. She has always hated Scrabble because she's not such a great speller, and because her brain is not as good as other people's at finding words amidst a jumble of letters sitting on a little wooden shelf. But in the online gamespace, she can take her time and try out words to see if they are, in fact, actual words. Her sister seems to be at about the same level of ability, because their games have been very close. The Mrs. now has games going with a couple of other friends as well.

Now she's also gone and joined LinkedIn, mainly because she's looking for a job. I feel a bit differently about LinkedIn, because it's a professional networking site, as opposed to a social-networking site. Sure, people may join partly to locate and reconnect with old friends (that seems to be the extent of the "networking" the Mrs. is doing so far), but that isn't its primary purpose. I admit that I'm also tempted to join, but fortunately I'm not looking for a job, and I don't plan to be, now that I've finally got some occupational stability.

There are some old coworkers and friends I'd like to touch base with, but I could probably find them some other way if I set my mind to it. So I probably won't join. Why ruin a good thing?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a proponent of online networking, I see it as the lazy response to what every career expert always says: network, network, network. I don'thave time to go to networking events, I don't pick up the phone regularly to check up on old friends like I should (and they don't either), so this way, it's a pretty cool way to stay in touch. but for Linkedin, just because YOU aren't looking for a job, doesn't mean someone in your network isn't. If we add our names to a network, we can potential help others write stories, meet connections, get in touch with someone for a business or personal reason, I don't know. I don't use Linkedin to its intended effect, and I have only been hit up a couple of times by colleagues looking for freelance connections or for article research. But I expect it to get better. And you can't help out a friend if you don't register. It shouldn't be about what a social network can do for YOU, it's what everyone can possibly accomplish together. If you feel exploited, there are ways around that, or you can leave it, I suppose, but I haven't heard any complaints yet. No parents in the newspaper complaining that the interweb is responsible for their child not doing their homework (uh, it's parenting, not a machine, ultimately at fault.) Just Luddite grumblings:)