06 June 2013

Watch Wednesday Wrist Want (6/5/13)

I haven't done one of these in a long time, mainly because daydreaming about expensive watches, while fun, is also somewhat of a built-in letdown. But who knows, I could win the lottery tomorrow, and there are at least a couple of pieces I'd want to get.

One of them is this watch from Bell & Ross, a Swiss company with a heritage of making pilot's watches. They have a few core designs and keep releasing variations on them with different colored cases, dials, and straps. This latest version, which isn't on sale yet, has numerals, hands, and dial markings that are meant to have an aged appearance.
This watch is about as simple as it gets, but I'm drawn to it because its design is so clean and readable. I have a thing for watch faces with large numerals, and this looks like it came right out of the 1960's. I love the circular date window, as well as its position between the four and five markers. The strap is rubber and its cross-hatch appearance is also a nod to 1960's dive watches.

In case you're wondering, when this hits the market in a few months it will retail for $3,100. There will also be a chronograph version, which will certainly cost more (similar models currently available run $4,500).

(I borrowed this image from the watch site Hodinkee; I hope they're okay with that.)

No comments: