28 October 2013

Car Stuff: Random Sighting #8

I was looking through the pictures on my phone and came across this one, which I took over a year ago but had forgotten about:
This is from September of last year, not long after I encountered the white Falcon convertible that I used to kick off this feature. I happened to look out the window one day and saw it idling there. It obliged me by staying long enough for me to grab my phone and get this shot. (Sorry for the pole and the moiré effect from taking the pic through the window screen.)

At the time I took the picture I didn't know exactly what the car was, but I had an idea (and figuring it out can be part of the fun). Based on its overall shape I knew it had to be from the early 1950s, but I'm familiar enough with cars from that time period to know that it was neither a General Motors nor a Ford Motor Company product. There were still a number of smaller, independent companies around at the time, but I also knew it wasn't a Nash or a Studebaker.

Eliminating all of those left me leaning toward Chrysler Corporation, and specifically Plymouth. As it turns out, it's a 1950 Plymouth (I was able to make this conclusion from the car's grille, which was specific to that year only). I have no idea where it comes from or what it was doing on my street that day, but it was still fun to see it.

No comments: