14 October 2009

A Chill in the Air

The cold sneaked up on us kind of quick, huh? It's been about ten degrees below normal during the day, and this morning it was 39 degrees. Whoa. The dog was whining at 5 AM because she had thrashed around and knocked off her blanket, and was cold.

We're in the somewhat awkward position of still having the air conditioners in the windows. Okay, maybe not "awkward" per se, maybe it's more like "lazy." I completely forgot about it over the long weekend until Monday, when the Mrs. was working and I couldn't deal with them by myself.

And as much as I don't want to be turning on the heat this early, I would be inclined to, but there's no point in doing that, yet. See, I'm the sort of person who is compulsive enough to have cut blocks of foam to fit around each of the AC units to create a tight seal. That works great when we want to keep the cold in and the heat out, but not so great when it's the other way around. I'm not going to turn on the heat before October 15th just to have it wasted with cold seeping in around the AC units.

No, we just have to deal with them, so we'll remove and store the units tonight. Regardless of whether or not we turn on the heat, it's too cold to wait until the weekend.

No comments: