06 April 2010

Spendy Ways

I guess I struck a chord with yesterday's post, because I've already received a couple of comments about it. A Proper Bostonian pointed out that she still spends money on food and at CVS, and I was indeed very relieved to know that she is not intentionally starving herself. Those are not discretionary purchases; those are necessities.

The definition of "necessity" can, of course, be somewhat fluid. Yesterday I bought a new Swiss army knife at REI. I had mine confiscated by the TSA on my way home from California a couple of months ago, and I've been somewhat lost without it. I use it frequently, and it holds my keys, and it was all of $18 anyway.

If I feel that I need something, I'm going to buy it, and I intend to be honest about what I do buy. But there are plenty of things that fall into the category "I'd like to have it, but I don't need it." Those are the things that I need to cut back on. Food, toiletries, and the like are necessary. And beer. I'm out of beer at home, and that one is absolutely non-negotiable.

1 comment:

A Proper Bostonian said...

Spending money on food can be discretionary. I feel very profligate now buying produce that isn't from the Haymarket, for example. And I only buy designer bread (When Pigs Fly, Iggy's) that would make my dad accuse me of living like Marie Antoinette.