24 June 2010

Bargains, Rapped

I'm not much of a fan of rap. I was into the early stuff from Run-DMC, De La Soul, and a few others, but it kinda lost me after Public Enemy's popularity peaked in the late '80s. I can always appreciate a good beat, and I admire the skills needed to rhyme and flow, but as music it doesn't do anything for me.

I think it's really just a generational thing; had I been born five or ten years later, I'd probably be more inclined to like it (though I'm basing this assumption solely on my younger coworkers' tastes). But how could I not love a rap about discount shopping? More importantly, how could I not share it with you?

Have you heard of Ross? As in "Ross Dress for Less"? They're kind of like Marshalls, except we don't have them in our part of the country. They are as close as New Jersey, but are mainly in the southeast, south, and west. My father-in-law, who lived in southern California, shopped there so frequently, he practically had a shopping cart with his name on a plaque. He never tired of bragging about the deals he found there, or that Tuesdays were senior citizen days and he got an extra 10 percent off.

But, as usual, I digress. I've never heard of the rappers Abraham Linkin, but clearly they are guys who appreciate a bargain, and they have a sense of humor too. So, please to enjoy the all-kindsa-awesome video "I Got It At Ross." Non-stick pans, indeed. If Ross has any clue, they'll pay these guys for the rights to this and make it their official song.

No comments: