04 August 2007

The Whole Thing

I had an interesting shopping experience the other night. We were in need of a few staple food items--coffee, cream, yogurt--and something to eat for supper. The Mrs. suggested going to Whole Foods because she likes their deli chicken salad, and with some fresh bread it would make a quick, easy meal. She also needed to stop at the Medford library, so after that we kept going through west Medford and Winchester to Woburn, where a new Whole Foods Market opened a year or so ago.

I had never shopped at Whole Foods. I'd been in a few of the stores over the years for various reasons, but I had never gone into one of their stores with the intention of doing any real food shopping for myself or my household. I guess I've always been content with being a mainstream grocery shopper, and Stop & Shop, Shaw's, or Foodmaster was always close enough and convenient enough for me. Also, while I'm aware of the issues surrounding food safety and the desire for food that is less processed, I've always felt that Whole Foods was overpriced, that part of what you're buying there is a lifestyle statement--I want the best, and I can afford it--that I don't identify with.

Over the past couple of years the chain has worked to undo the perception of being too expensive by introducing a line of private-label products, and by placing advertisement inserts in the newspaper showing that their prices are competitive with other grocery chains. But those inserts featured only a dozen or so items each week. and the prices on the rest of the items you'd likely need for your weekly shopping weren't necessarily as competitive.

Their produce is legendary, and yes, it's fantastic. But it's also pricey, and at this time of year, I'd much rather go to a local farmer's market. Nothing tastes as good as locally grown vegetables at their seasonal peak, and more farmers are embracing organic growing techniques. We also have a couple of very good farm stands Calareso's in Reading and Wilson Farms in Lexington, within a short drive, so the produce angle is pretty well covered, and as I think I've said before, I would rather support local farmers and businesses anyway.

Coffee is absolutely essential for me to start my day, and I have to give Whole Foods a thumbs-up for their selection. I saw packaged beans from a couple of local roasters, but what got my attention was the loose bean varieties and blends that are store-roasted. I chose a blend that had been roasted that very day. It was more expensive than the Peet's I've been getting at Stop & Shop, but I chose that out of convenience more than anything else, and I'm definitely willing to pay more for coffee if there's some clear advantage in freshness or quality.

There's a whole section of natural cosmetics that didn't really interest me, but the Mrs. could have stayed there all night until the store closed and they kicked her out.

Some of the store-brand items are a reasonably good deal, others not so much. You could certainly do most if not all of your weekly shopping at Whole Foods, but there's no question you would pay a lot more for it. To some people I guess it's worth it, but I'm also left with the feeling that there are those that do it more to show off than for any other reason, just as there are people who have to drive around in a Lexus when a Hyundai would serve their transportation needs just as well.

And the chicken salad? It was all right, but the chunks of chicken are way too big. It's harder to eat that way, that's all.

5 comments:

SusanovaKY said...

Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck), indeed -- this is why some of us would rather pay extra to our local food co-op than to corporate organic. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Unknown said...

As a mom, I'm trying to have my kid ingest fewer chemicals early on, so I'm doing the expensive gamble for now. I kinda balance it with non organic food b/c i'm no rich SAHM.

I also like the experience and the atmosphere.

Stop and Shop has a growing variety of organics that are competitive in price. I haven't done a real comparison, but although I find stop and shop expensive as well, their produce often is cheaper. Just bought organic grapes there for $2.89 a pound, about, and they were so crunchy and sweet.

I like supporting the organic movement as well, and with the evil Walmart buying more organics, it's a good trend that hopefully will result in lowering of good produce prices.

Local farms don't necessarily go pesticide free, but I hope to next year join an organic coop with another parent. The farm charges you a set fee, and gives you bushels of veggies weekly.

Some Assembly Required said...

Thanks for chiming in, Susan. While we might be able to afford to shop there all the time, I'd feel like we were wasting money.

Some Assembly Required said...

Please to define SAHM...

SusanovaKY said...

Stay At Home Mom