03 August 2015

Car Stuff: Green Bird

I feel like I need to post something car-related. I'm sure I'm overdue for a Fantasy Garage installment, but that isn't going to happen on my current schedule. I'll probably have to spend the time to prepare it over a weekend. So meanwhile I looked through the photos on my phone and have something to share...
I was running an errand in Brookline about two months ago and spotted this car just as I got off the trolley on Beacon Street. It's a 1979 Ford Thunderbird, the final year of a very successful three-year run of the first downsized 'Bird. As I've mentioned previously, personal luxury was the big car trend of the '70s, which happened to coincide well with the need to make cars at least a little smaller.

This car was considered a stylish ride when new, and this particular one has some nice options: the jade green paint and interior, the wire wheel covers, and look, those are T-tops! Not common on T-birds, that's for sure. (It is a little odd that the rear half of the roof isn't covered in vinyl.) I only wish I'd been able to get a shot with the entire car in it. The car was in the left-turn lane, so I turned to my left and waited for it to make the turn so I could attempt more shots, but it never turned. I have no idea where it went. Maybe it wasn't even real...
As a partial consolation, here's what the front end looks like.

No comments: