30 December 2007

Cinnamon Dreams

Yesterday, our friend (and commenter on this blog) Sandra called to say she was having an "IKEA emergency": her new bed was being delivered, sooner than she had expected, and she needed new sheets, so she was heading to IKEA and wondered if we wanted to come along.

I like IKEA well enough. Their stuff isn't always the best quality, but it looks good and generally it's inexpensive enough so you can buy without feeling guilty. We have a few things we've bought there: a Poang chair, a couple of lamps, a couple of work tables. But the main reason I'm happy that they opened a store within a reasonable drive: the cinnamon rolls.

I've had a jones for cinnamon rolls for as long as I can remember, but it isn't always easy to find good ones. Some bakeries just don't bother making them, and there are mediocre versions like the ones Dunkin' Donuts used to sell in the fall a few years back. (I ate them anyway, wishing they were better.) So when I discovered that IKEA made their own cinnamon rolls, and that they were pretty tasty, I was pretty happy, except that at the time (June 1998) we were on a road trip through North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky, and there wasn't an IKEA store within 250 miles of home.

Fast-forward a few years, and we finally have our own IKEA right here in eastern Massachusetts. Whenever we find ourselves there, I buy a six-pack of the rolls. I had one for breakfast today, I'll have one tomorrow, and one Tuesday. (The other three are for the Mrs; I'm not that greedy.) They're flaky and gooey, not too sweet, a little messy (eating over the sink is recommended) and perfect with a fresh cup of coffee. Pleasant dreams...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And I bought both cinnamon rolls (YUM!) AND sheets. They mostly are into the duvet and cover euro thing, which I love because a duvet and cover means one flip and the bed is made. No other store sells the variety of duvet cover/pillowcase sets, and I got some pretty cheap with IKEA's post-holiday sales. For kingsize sheets, this was such a moneysaver: $10 for one set (yellow circles, cute) and $15 for the brown polkadot set. Splurged $50 on the warmest down-alternative comforter, which actually keeps me soooo warm (I opted for the second-warmest comforter, I think the warmest one is two comforters that snap together and apart for the summer quilt option) The fitted sheets weren't so cheap, I found Target sold them on sale for $5 or so cheaper, with a higher thread count and all cotton, for $8 on sale this week. Not bad for king sheets.
And good lord, the king size bed is luxurious...Dave loves it, too. I was a little dubious about the space consumption, but it really works for us, and there's a couple feet left in the room to move around, too:)