29 December 2007

Of Loos and Logos

This is just a random observation: to get to the men's room in the Lord & Taylor store at the Burlington Mall, you have to go through the children's department. This creeps me out, as I feel like it's practically inviting a pedophile to grab a kid and whisk him or her into the bathroom. Is there something wrong with me for thinking about these things? Really, shouldn't the men's room be adjacent to the men's department?

The Mrs. and I were shopping in Macy's last night at the same mall, up on the third floor in The Cellar (ponder that one for a moment), because we got a gift card from my brother and sister and we're thinking about getting a new coffee maker, the kind that grinds the beans and then brews the coffee in one unit. Turns out that in that Macy's, both the men's and women's restrooms are in the children's department, which is adjacent to the kitchen stuff. I guess I can see the logic of this: when the kid says, "Mommy/Daddy, I have to go to the bathroom," it's certainly more convenient if the bathroom is right next to where you're shopping for overpriced kids' clothes with shrunken versions of adult designer logos.

Seriously, have you seen this stuff? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Nearly every popular adult clothing designer had a kids' line. I know it's about money and "extending the brand" in marketing-speak; what it really means is turning kids into consumer whores before they even realize that's what they've become. As parents, how do you fight this? We don't have kids, so this is not an issue we have to face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My 4 year old son only seems to want to wear shirts with the following logos: Cars, Batman, Sox, Patriots, Spiderman, and creeping in, Transformers (although he hasn't watched transformers and spiderman). He so looooves his shirts, but otherwise is ok with his pants and shoes being randomly selected,rather than by logo. He loves his Converse sneakers, not because they are converse, but ecause they are hightops and red, with trucks on them. His other shoes are I think Addidas,but he calls them his Ebay shoes,which is where I bought them for cheap. I have held off on my anti logo campaign here, yeah, although I have been introducing the "That's stupid" logic conversations during commercials, and I will try to avoid all frilly designer stuff. By frilly, I mean logos for the sake of logos. I do love Levis, for example, because they can keep up with my son's abuse of his knees, but I really can't afford them so I end up just buying whatever Target has on sale, or handmedowns.
So some logo slavery is ok, I suppose. I'm the same way: I follow logos only if they promise performance or fit, not because they are "cool."