10 April 2008

T'd Off

According to an article in today's Boston Globe, men who wear visible crewneck undershirts under their button-front shirts are committing a fashion crime. Wow, who knew?

I found this article pretty ridiculous, for a couple of reasons. First, I had to read the article twice to discern that the writer's specific complaint seems to be against guys who wear dark T-shirts under light dress shirts. I don't necessarily disagree with this (I do think it looks dumb when you can read a T-shirt's graphic through the shirt on top of it), but it seems like a pretty flimsy hook on which to hang a feature story, and it's poorly executed.

Second, it's a weak argument, and the author proves it himself by pointing out how he sees men dressed this way all over. If that's the case, I would say that the guys wearing the style are right and the author is wrong. Third, the author's regular gig for the Globe is reviewing movies, so how exactly does that qualify him to tell us how to dress?

He seems to think guys should wear V-neck undershirts, but there are quite a few of us who prefer to keep our chest hair covered when we're in public. Modesty is so underrated these days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe men are supp to shave their chests, too? (ah, but I luvs my honey's chest hair.)

I looked around at other guys all day after that article, and not only saw guys wearing a t under their shirts, but noted that it looked ok to me. As long as a guy dresses fairly appropriate for his age, wearing clothes in decent shape, and is dressed more or less for the right decade, there's no fashion crimes taking place. The only thing I can critique guys on are socks (Saggy? pilled? white? none?) and shoes (raggedy? Dad shoes? Nurse shoes? sneakers that aren't hi-top cons or shoe-like? socks 'n' birks?)

Some Assembly Required said...

Are you saying you disapprove of any sneakers that are not Converse high-tops? Because that would refer to all my sneakers. The awful truth about Chucks is that they are not comfortable.

I do agree with you about guys dressing their age, though.