25 February 2010

Gates and Passes

Back in the very early days of this blog, I wrote about my special MBTA pass and the limitations imposed on its use by the T when they installed their new fare collection system. Basically, I have an unlimited-use pass that could only be used at specific gates in stations, and I thought that was kind of a stupid way of doing things.

Apparently someone at the T also finally concluded that it was stupid. On a recent evening I was on my way home. As I entered the station, people exiting a train were coming through the gate I needed to use, so I stood to one side, waiting for them to pass through. There was a T employee standing on the other side of the gate. He saw me waiting and motioned for me to use one of the other gates.

I explained to him that I couldn't, and showed him my pass so he would understand what I meant. I said, "It won't work at any of the other gates." He said, "Yes it will." Obviously this was news to me. I asked, "When did this happen?" He said, "A while back."

Of course, this is the T, so as far as I know the change was never publicized. I don't remember seeing anything about it on the T's web site. And, you know, the T sent me the pass in the first place, so I know they have my name and address on file, but I guess it's asking too much to expect them to inform me (and other people with these passes) about something that's directly relevant to my use of the pass, something that would make my everyday life a bit easier.

And since behavior patterns tend to get pretty ingrained over time, I'm finding it difficult not to keep using the restricted fare gates in my daily commutes. I think on some level I just don't quite trust that the pass will work on the other gates. But I'm trying.

No comments: