14 April 2010

Watch Wednesday (4/14/10)

For this installment I have another vintage Caravelle. I apologize for the crapitude of the picture; I just couldn't get this one quite right, and I took about twice as many shots as I typically do.

Caravelle produced a version of this watch for several years in the early 1960s. The dial has a sort of grayish tinge to the white, but I'm not sure if that's its original hue or if it has faded over the years. It's another older watch that is just a little too small to look normal on my wrist, so I don't wear it, which is too bad, because I really like the simplicity of the dial, and the font they used for the numerals.

What makes this a slightly more interesting example is that it has a display back:
I've read that these were given to the salesmen so they could show off the movement. I don't know if that's true, but at least it makes sense. Around the outer edge it says "Caravelle anti-magnetic base metal case shock resistant," but there doesn't seem to have been any room for the Bulova date code, so I don't know exactly when this watch was produced, but I'm almost certain it's at least as old as I am.

No comments: