26 October 2010

Ad Nausea

Have you noticed how stuff follows you around on the web now? Go browse some shoes at Zappos, and you'll then notice display ads on other sites with little pictures of the shoes you were looking at.

That's one thing, but because we're in the final week of election season, I'm now getting pestered by political ads. I saw a couple of ads for local races on a site that wasn't local. And yesterday, while I was watching a show on Hulu while eating lunch, I got a political ad between segments of the show. They must be using IP addresses to determine location, and then serve an ad pertinent to my area, as if the biannual bombardment of them on regular television wasn't annoying enough already.

1 comment:

Charlotte K said...

Use AdBlock Plus in your browser and leave those pesky ads behind--and protect yourself from malware hiding in some of them. I can't believe how much my browsing experience improved.