01 October 2010

The State of Things

After patting myself on the back Wednesday, it's time to come back to earth and see where things are.

First of all, this weather is disgusting, and it needs to go away. It's like soup out there. We're in October now, for crap's sake. I want some fall. I have stuff I want to wear, and talk about.

Second, I caught a cold somewhere (probably from the T), and it bloomed yesterday. At first it was just sneezing, so I thought it was regular allergies, but by the time I got home the various other symptoms were evident. I made it through the night with some slightly-expired NyQuil, and hit the drugstore on my way to work for a combo pack of NyQuil and DayQuil with vitamin C. We'll see how quickly I can beat this thing into submission.

You may have noticed that for the past month or so, things have been a bit off schedule sometimes. In particular, I haven't been doing many posts on Fridays. This isn't intentional, it's just worked out that way. A couple of months ago I took on some new responsibilities at work, with an attendant raise, change in title, and step up the job scale. It was a genuine promotion, something I hadn't been expecting.

Things have been going well, but of course, the added duties mean my time in the office isn't quite as... flexible as it used to be. In addition to my monthly deadline, I now have certain weekly and even daily tasks, and the structure of our business means that other people depend on me getting my work done on time.

That's probably the main reason I didn't take a sick day today. I contemplated it once or twice when I woke up during the night, but when my alarm went off I hopped right out of bed without considering staying home. But the truth is I probably should have stayed home. If things go all right today, I may leave early and try to catch some extra sleep.

I'll keep juggling things as fluidly as possible, but there may be days when I can't post, or a post doesn't appear at the expected time. I would love to do more TV writeups, but given the amount of time those have been consuming, I don't see being able to do it on my current schedule. (I had wanted to start a separate TV blog a long while back, but I just don't have the kind of time to invest to do it right.) And if I decide to keep doing Mad Men writeups next year, I may have to reevaluate what form those might take. But that's a decision I won't have to make for a while.

No comments: