06 January 2011

Just A Trim

Between haircuts, I find it necessary to do some maintenance grooming on my own, mainly on the sideburns and the back of the neck. Several years back I bought a rechargeable trimmer with several interchangeable heads for various types of trimming (this also enables me to tame the pesky ear and nose hairs that are such a charming part of growing older).

It was nothing fancy, just a Conair that I found at drugstore.com for around $15 or so. The largest head has two comb attachments that allow for trimming to various lengths, but I only use one of them and keep it at its closest setting.

I have to remove the comb for close trimming, and a couple of months ago I dropped the comb, and it broke into several pieces--I guess it was just brittle enough and the tile floor in the bathroom was just hard enough.

Without that comb, I could not do any of my usual sideburn trimming, and I thought I would have to buy a whole new trimmer, but that seemed unnecessarily wasteful. First, I went on Conair's web site and looked up replacement parts. I found some, but not the one I needed.

I decided to send an email to customer service, specifying the model number of my trimmer, to see if I might be able to purchase the comb anyway. It took a couple of days to receive a reply, but the rep said they had a small number of the combs available and would send them to me free of charge.

A few days later a small package was in my mailbox, and the combs were packed inside, in bubble wrap so they would not get damaged during shipping. I greatly appreciated this gesture, as it was definitely beyond what I was expecting in terms of customer service. Companies used to provide this level of service all the time, and it's nice to know that some still do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm roaming today, new to Blogger, looking for some sites to follow. That is great customer service that is hard to find nowadays. I do think it has a lot to do with the fact you wrote a letter. Some people call... I don't know that this is it, but it might be. I know I once (a gazillion years ago) wrote to a diaper company about how well I liked their new feature, and I got back a letter and AWESOME coupons! I was on a roll for a bit after that, writing to companies to praise or complain, and to my happiness I got coupons back from most of them.