14 March 2013

Discounts on Boylston

Today is the opening of the Nordstrom Rack store on Boylston Street. I don't typically rush to store openings, but by coincidence I will be in the Back Bay this evening for another event, so I'll probably stop by just to have a look around.

The Rack stores for me are a hit/miss proposition; the only things I've ever bought there are shoe trees, which are generally an excellent deal at around $13 a pair (and sometimes on sale for less). But as is true with all discount shopping, luck and timing can result in good deals. I have seen high-quality shoes from brands like Allen Edmonds that I would have bought if they were my size. I've seen excellent values on clearance suits from brands like Hickey Freeman and Burberry. They have a good selection of reasonably-priced dress shirts and ties if you find yourself in need of such on short notice.

Also, while nothing will ever replace the original Filene's Basement, it's good to see an empty storefront get filled, and once again offer an alternative to the Marshalls across the street.

No comments: