24 April 2013

Aging Out

I have subscribed to GQ for many years. There's much more to the magazine than fashion, so there is always something interesting to read. But for some time now, I've felt that the style pieces have less and less relevance to me, not only because of the way I dress, but because of my advancing age.

I am simply too old for this magazine now.

Some of their advice is helpful regardless of one's age. The new issue (with Robert Downey Jr. on the cover) has a feature on pocket squares. I have long believed that paying attention to the details elevates an outfit above the ordinary, and if I'm dressing up I will have a square in my jacket pocket. And any man, regardless of build, can benefit from getting the fit of his clothing right.

On the other hand, GQ offers plenty of style advice that I would never consider taking. Skinny ties have been popular for a few years now, but because of my height and build, they look wrong on me. I don't wear my pants hemmed two inches above my shoes. I am never going to wear a suit and wingtips without socks (with the pants hemmed to show off my ankles). And I have no interest in what NBA players are wearing (or, for that matter, in the NBA).

Many of these are just personal choices, but age factors in as well. Younger men can get away with taking more risks in the way they dress. Conversely, by the time someone reaches my age, he has typically figured out what works for him and what doesn't, and is more likely to stick with a certain look or style.

I also get Esquire, which seems to be aimed at a slightly older audience than GQ, but still someone younger than me. But there does seem to be a void in the market. Older men tend to have more disposable income (I am obviously not a good example of this, but still), and buy things like boats and vacation homes. Condé Nast attempted to claim this space a while back, but you're excused if you don't remember. The publication was called Men's Vogue, which sort of doomed it from the start.

So I'll keep getting these magazines, but not for the style advice. Men of any age can appreciate Alison Brie.

2 comments:

A Proper Bostonian said...

This struck a chord.... I'd always subscribed to a few women's fashion magazines and added a couple more while working in e-commerce and beyond. I'd "aged out" of Glamour and Mademoiselle well before that. But since then I've aged out of Marie-Claire, Bazaar, and Elle. As for Vogue, I became disgusted with its assumption that every reader can afford to spend a few hundred on a trendy pair of shoes, or would ever wish to. Then there are their "What to Wear at Every Age/Weight" stories, which show the clothes on skinny teenagers. So, where do I go now for fashion advice? Nowhere. There used to be a magazine called "Mirabella" for stylish women of all ages, and I miss it. Buying "More" would just depress me....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a bit old for GQ, but I fall asleep everytime I read an issue of Esquire. I keep my subscription out of habit, and I do enjoy Fred Woodward's art direction. But yes, they've been stuck on pushing the skinny tie and sockless look for way too long.