04 April 2013

The Rewatch

I imagine you know by now that Mad Men returns this Sunday with a two-hour episode. As I said last year, I don't care for this approach, as it has the net effect of shortening the season by one week. So I thought it was interesting that in this interview with the New York Times, Matthew Weiner said that AMC forced him to do it.

Courtesy of Netflix, I've been spending some time this week revisiting earlier seasons of the show, and I imagine a lot of others are doing the same thing. Even though I watch each episode at least twice after recording it, I still like to go back and immerse myself in the show's world before each new season gets up and running. Plus it's just handy to get my memory refreshed after nine months away from the show.

I haven't followed this pattern for any other show, but with the announcement that Netflix will be releasing the new episodes of Arrested Development on May 26th, I think it would make sense to go back and rewatch all three seasons of it, as it's been off the air since 2006. I've caught bits of them here and there in reruns on IFC, but out of context of the series as a whole.

And as the final season of Breaking Bad approaches this summer, I think it would be worthwhile to revisit that series from the beginning, if only to relive its many amazing moments.

No comments: