11 November 2009

Watch Wednesday (11/11/09)


What's this? A Watch Wednesday post--on Wednesday? Why, it's a miracle... or not. You can thank the powers that be for giving me the day off and thus allowing me the time to do this when it's supposed to be done.

This is the last of my three Casio analog watches, and perhaps the most interesting. I got sucked into this one because of its technology. It's called a Wave Ceptor, and it receives time signals (on a radio frequency of some sort) several times a day, calibrated to the NIST atomic clock in Boulder, CO. Pretty heavy stuff, but also pretty cool. It requires a little fussing with those buttons on the sides to set it to the correct time zone, but when that's done it's fun to watch the hands move on their own to the correct time. Because of its accuracy, I use this watch as a baseline for setting my other watches and keeping track of their accuracy.

Once again, this watch came with a cheap, uncomfortable resin strap--pretty much the norm for any Casio that isn't on a metal bracelet--so I replaced it, but again it was a quick and cheap fix and I don't really like this strap either. I found one I'd like to replace it with, but it's been out of stock for some time, so i don't know if that's going to work out.

I think this watch also has features like an alarm and a stopwatch, but to be honest, I haven't bothered to try to figure out how to do anything else with it other than set it to the correct time zone. It didn't come with instructions because it was some sort of store display model, so I downloaded them from Casio, but they're kind of difficult to understand. I'll take another crack at it some time.

No comments: