26 November 2009

Watch Wednesday/Thursday (11/26/09)



It's still Wednesday night somewhere, right? (I think it's the reverse; it's already Friday morning somewhere...)

Okay, let's get serious. This is an Omega Seamaster De Ville automatic from somewhere in the early 1960s. I don't know the exact year, but I'm sure there's a way to date it from its serial number. I like to think it's from 1963, the year I was born.

Vintage Omega watches are not as popular (or as expensive) as Rolex and some other brands, but they made plenty of interesting watches with quality movements. I acquired this one back in 2001; at the time it was a pretty good deal, but now it's unlikely I would be able to afford a comparable watch.

I think what makes this watch distinctive are the cross-hair lines on the dial. The Accutron Deep Sea also has them, and it's a small detail that elevates a classy but otherwise plain design. I've seen other Omegas that are otherwise the same but don't have the cross-hairs, and they just don't look as nice.

I apologize for the awful picture, but I'm in the midst of getting ready to leave for the day and I don't have enough time to fuss with lots of pictures. I'll try to post a better one tomorrow.

Update: I think this picture is better.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

No comments: