07 January 2010

Watch Wednesday Thursday (1/7/10)


Watch time again? Totally sneaked up on me. I would have held today's earlier post until tomorrow. Whatevs...

This is the first chronograph I bought, almost ten years ago now. I have several Timex watches, because they make so many different styles and they are eminently affordable. This was one of their first forays into somewhat nicer territory with correspondingly higher price tags; I think the suggested retail on this was $90 but I got this on eBay (naturally) for around $50 at the time, and it was money well spent. I don't know who supplied Timex with the movement for these, but it's very accurate, and the battery lasted five or six years before it needed to be replaced.

The diameter of the case is 38 millimeters, which seemed huge at the time because I was used to wearing vintage watches that tended to be smaller, but now this almost seems small compared to some of the other chunky modern watches I've acquired since, like those Casios.

This originally came with a strap that resembled kevlar but was really some sort of nylon, and was backed with leather. It didn't prove to be as durable as it looked, and I ended up replacing it with a leather one. Eventually that strap wore out too (my own fault, I bought something cheap) but this one, which is from the previously mentioned Watch Prince in Oregon, is of much better quality.

No comments: