03 March 2010

Watch Wednesday (3/3/10)

 
I'd just like to take a moment to point out that I'm caught up, so to speak, with this feature, to where I'd have been if I hadn't gotten off schedule when we went away in January. And I'd also like to mention that I've managed to post the Watch Wednesday watches on Wednesday for four consecutive Wednesdays. Yay me...

So, another Timex, a contemporary one. In fact, this is a currently available model. I think it has a list price of $80 or so; I saw it last year at Target for around $60, but I was able to find one on eBay (of course) for $25. It's pretty rugged-looking, and fairly solidly built. I could also get this wet and not worry about it.

The picture comes fairly close to capturing the color of the dial, a very deep blue (this style is also available with a black or yellow dial). For a while you could get it on a sturdy metal bracelet (for more money), but this one came with a typically crappy resin strap, so I did my thing and replaced it.

This strap is made of a synthetic called Lorica that manages a fairly decent approximation of leather's texture and feel. From a couple of feet away it even looks kind of like leather. Synthetic straps like this are more comfortable for me to wear in warm weather. About the only thing I don't like about Lorica is that it costs as much as leather; this strap was $30. Still, it looks good and feels good, it seems durable so far, and like the watch it's water resistant.

We'll now resume our original biweekly schedule for this feature.

No comments: