18 March 2010

Watch Wednesday Thursday (3/18/10)

Last time we had a modern watch, so it's back to vintage, but still Timex, because it was handy. Some time ago I mentioned that my interest in vintage watches was spurred by an old Timex that I found at a flea market. This is not that watch, but it is exactly like that watch.

The original might still be around here somewhere, but it was just too old and dirty to be viable. So some years later I started looking for one like it on eBay. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I found a similar, probably earlier version that lacked a second hand, and then I found several others that were not in working condition, but I couldn't see the point of buying another broken watch. I looked on and off, and found this one just last year.

Once again I am reminded that older watches were generally smaller than today's styles, though this watch is not quite as small in diameter as the pair of Caravelles I featured recently. One thing I do like about this watch, and what caught my eye back at that flea market, is how the numerals taper very slightly toward the center of the dial. The strap came with the watch, and it's not really my style, but I don't feel like replacing it is a priority.

No comments: