09 June 2015

Car Stuff: Mustang in the Wild

Ford Mustangs from the 1960s have survived in relatively large numbers because millions of them were built to begin with. It's possible some people held onto their cars hoping they would appreciate as investments, but they're also fun cars to drive even today. Even so, it's not so common to see one out on the road except maybe during the summer; you're more likely to come upon one at a car show.
About a month ago I spotted this 1968 Mustang convertible on a Saturday afternoon. (Apologies for the streaky car window.) It was sitting in a nearly empty parking lot, which made me wonder if perhaps it had broken down. The only reason I noticed this car and was able to get my phone up in time to get a shot was because of the color. If it had been a less vibrant color, I probably wouldn't have registered what the car was in enough time.

That said, I didn't think this was an original color, but a look at paint information for that year showed that in addition to the 16 standard color choices, there were almost two dozen limited-availability or special-order colors offered, and from just eyeballing some images online, it looks like this car is painted in a special color called "beatnik blue" (I know, awful).

No comments: