05 June 2015

Stamp It with Jimi

I don't get too excited about stamps. I don't use them much anymore, but I still have to buy them a couple of times a year. Every now and then, though, the Postal Service outdoes itself.
I got these Jimi Hendrix stamps about a month ago, and I think they're outstanding. The design is cool and the colors are great, but they went the extra step of arranging the stamps so that they form a trippy pattern. Notice also that the border around the stamps has been made to look like it's the sleeve of a 45 rpm record, with the little sliver of vinyl peeking out at the top; the finished size of the sheet is in fact 7" x 7".
Here's the reverse side, with a psychedelic illustration of Jimi. The Music Icons series has been excellent; prior to these, I had Ray Charles and Johnny Cash stamps, which I think are still available; there's also one for Janis Joplin.

No comments: