03 May 2010

Expense Report #4

So, April is over. How did I do? Last week I gave in and bought two things (perhaps as a reaction to going a whole week without buying anything discretionary): the DVD set of season three of Mad Men, which was $18 at Amazon, and a madras short-sleeve shirt from eBay, which was $13 plus shipping.

Going back through my eBay records, this is the first item I've bought there in over a month, and that was an auxiliary hard drive for the TiVo to replace the one that got fried back in March. Prior to that I had bought a couple of inexpensive clothing items in March, one expensive one in February that didn't quite work out (which I'll be discussing at more length soon), and a watch in January. So I was already making an effort to scale back, but I still needed to be more... emphatic about it. For May, I need to stick to not buying stuff as much as possible, and start selling some stuff too.

Oh, I did go to the Top Shelf Flea yesterday. I met Giuseppe and talked with him for a bit, and he is every bit as colorful and cordial as I expected, just a swell guy. I bought a vintage J. Press tie from him for $5.

No comments: