18 May 2010

Overheard: Pretend Drive-Up Window Edition

On Saturday we were doing some of our usual errands in Medford Square, and we went into the Dunkin' Donuts there to get coffee. As we neared the door there was a woman on the sidewalk, talking on her phone. I couldn't tell if she was waiting for someone or had been approaching from the other direction (the store's entrance is right on a corner), so I held out the door behind me, but she ignored me and kept talking, so I let it swing closed. Just before it did so I heard "...and I want some of the mocha syrup, but tell them to put it on the bottom."

Once inside, there was one person ahead of us at the counter, and I heard her say, "...mocha syrup, and can you put it on the bottom?" So, Woman A was giving her drink order to Woman B over the phone, while standing outside on the sidewalk. I started to let myself think about why she might be doing this, instead of just coming inside, but I realized that way madness lied and let it go.

Eventually she did end up coming inside, though she appeared reluctant to do so. Maybe she was worried her friend hadn't explained the request properly, maybe she thought the person working wouldn't make the drink right, or maybe there was someone in there she didn't want to run into?

2 comments:

A Proper Bostonian said...

More likely she was waiting for someone, who said they would find her outside... this sounds more like logistics issues than weirdness.

Some Assembly Required said...

Sure, take all the fun out of it...