27 May 2010

Watch Wednesday Thursday (5/27/10)

I totally forgot that yesterday was supposed to be a Watch Wednesday, so in the interest of expediency I've borrowed another picture from the internet. This is the watch I bought on eBay a couple of weeks ago, a Seiko with an automatic movement. It has a medium-sized (36 mm) case, which is actually a little smaller than most of the watches I wear these days. It has a display back so you can see the workings of the movement, and the case is finished in matte stainless steel that (probably intentionally) looks sort of like titanium.

I like the easy-to-read markings on this watch, I like that the day and date are white on black so they blend in with the rest of the dial, and I like that the crown is at the 4 position, a design element that goes back to Seikos of the 1960s. The hands I don't like so much--they're a little fussy-looking for a rugged watch with a bit of a military look, and I find the ball on the "wrong" end of the second hand distracting. (I could certainly get the hands changed if I had the inclination, but I don't think I'm going to worry about that.)

I also don't love the strap--big surprise, I know. It's nylon canvas, and the strap itself is okay, but it has these two metal loops for keepers which are seriously ugly. For now I've borrowed a leather strap from a watch I'm not wearing, but I'll be looking for a permanent replacement.

No comments: