02 June 2010

Cloudy with A Chance of Bombast

I've mentioned before that I watch New England Cable News in the morning. I think I've also mentioned that they have a tendency to repeat their commercials, so it's not unusual for the same ads to run at the same time each day.

For maybe the past two months NECN has been airing a promo for their weather. It comes on every morning right before the 7:30 news block begins, and it is hilariously cheesy. It has all this thunder and lightning, and this hard-rock song that goes something like "...every day the rain will won't fall/the sun will come out and warm shine on us all..."

Then one of the meteorologists says something to the effect of, "[Viewers watch because they want to know] ...is my house going to be hit by lightning?" Of course, this is something that no meteorologist can predict, which makes the ad all the more amusing.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have a clip of the ad on their site, and I couldn't find anything on YouTube. Does anyone know if this is a real song that the station is using in the ad, or if it's an original composition that they commissioned?

Addendum: Because I'm almost never in the room when this commercial airs, I was hearing it but not seeing it. But I happened to see it today, and there's a music credit at the end: it's a song called "Storm" (duh) by Lynyrd Skynyrd, but it must be the more recent incarnation of the band, because the singer sounds nothing like Ronnie Van Zant and the band sounds nothing like anything I know from them.

No comments: