14 June 2010

Expense Report #10

After going on about Lands' End ad nauseum, this past week I pulled the trigger on a pair of shorts from the Canvas line and a short-sleeve madras shirt from "regular" LE. Both were discounted in some manner, and as usual free shipping was involved, so I spent less than $50 total. I know that I'll wear these items for many summers to come, making this a value-oriented purchase.

Elsewhere I was able to resist or avoid temptation. Yesterday we drove up to Newburyport, and even though it wasn't an especially nice day, we still enjoyed ourselves walking around and looking into various stores. There's a little shop on State Street that sells British things like tea and candy, and they also carry a decent selection of Barbour jackets and clothing. Some of it was on clearance for 50% off, making for some very nice deals. The shopkeeper tried very hard to find something for me to buy, but unfortunately for her (and, I suppose, fortunately for my efforts at restraint) none of the items I liked were available in my size.

By the way, I meant to mention this last week, but for those of you with the inclination to shop and who are trying to spend wisely, or maybe just need some clothes, the approach of Father's Day means that many stores have quite a bit of their men's clothing on sale. Naturally this varies from store to store, but this is traditionally a good time to shop for men's stuff, whether it's for your father, some other man in your life, or yourself.

No comments: