10 June 2010

Watch Wednesday Thursday (6/10/10)

Oh look, another Bulova. You're not really surprised, are you? I picked this one up a couple of years ago for some very small amount of money, probably less than $30. (I'm a sucker for that cross-hair detail.)

This is a nice, basic Bulova with an automatic movement, the sort of watch that would have been on the wrists of thousands of American men in the late 1960s. This one is date-coded to 1968, and it happens to be engraved on the back; it's the only vintage watch I've bought that has engraving. It says "Bill-Jean 1944-1969," so maybe this was a 25th anniversary gift from Jean to Bill?

It's in pretty good condition, with a few blemishes. You can see a couple of marks on the dial below the hands, and the crystal has a few scuffs that I think would buff out. But otherwise, given its age, it looks pretty good. The dial has fine lines radiating out from the center (too faint to show up in this mediocre picture), and while it was probably originally a silvery white, it has taken on a slightly cream-colored cast with aging, which works nicely with the luminous hands, which have also aged to a similarly creamy hue. Plus, they still glow, though rather faintly.

I don't remember buying this strap, so it either came along with the watch, or it was one I had around that was the correct size. But with the coloring I just described, I think this watch would look good with a tan or light brown leather strap, like the one on this Timex.

No comments: