05 July 2010

Expense Report #13

Last week I got an email from J. Crew regarding the reward points I earn by using their credit card. They were wondering where I'd been, and they missed me. Okay, I made that up, But I did get an email from them, and I thought it said that I needed to spend a certain amount of money by June 30th to accumulate enough points to earn a $25 reward card.

So on Wednesday, the 30th, I stopped by the Copley store. They had a decent sale section again, and I couldn't help feeling like I should have stopped by sooner, that I was missing out on some good deals. In truth, a lot of the deals were mediocre, and this is the sort of thing I keep reminding myself in order to curtail my spending urges.

After talking with one of the sales clerks, I came to understand that I had misinterpreted the email: I wasn't going to lose any reward points if I didn't make a purchase, but I would have to wait until the next quarter to receive the reward card if I didn't spend X dollars. Silly me. So, pressure off, I put back a couple of the things I was holding; the reward card will have to wait a little longer.

But I did end up getting a great deal on a pair of J. Crew's jeans, which I love but which normally sell for around $100. These are kind of an olive brown color ("dill") and in their "vintage slim" cut, which is nice and trim but not uncomfortably tight or low. They had multiple markdown tags on them, from $98 to $70 to $40 to $20, and there was another 20% off that, so I got them for $16. I won't wear them until fall, but at that point they will go nicely with a lot of my shirts and sportcoats.

No comments: