09 February 2011

Cubed

When I wrote last week about my job at the e-commerce company, I neglected to mention one curious aspect of our office environment after we were reunited with the rest of the company in the new office space: our cubicles were equipped with sliding doors.

Let that sink in for a moment: sliding doors on cubicles.

The doors had a sort of translucent corrugated plastic insert. I guess the door was supposed to be used as a sort of "do not disturb" indicator, but come on. This was ten years ago, so my memory is not precise, but I seem to remember that the walls of the cubes were between four and a half and five feet high; regardless, they were low enough that most of the people working there could easily look over the top of the wall. Pretty silly.

The one thing I did like about the cubicles, that I have not come across in any other place I've worked, was that the work surfaces had a light, IKEA-ish fake-wood finish, as opposed to the bland beige or gray desktops you see in most places.

No comments: