10 February 2011

Office Shoes

Recently I was having an email conversation with the Proper Bostonian about, among other things, winter boots. She asked me if I kept shoes at work to change into so I didn't have to wear my insulated, waterproof boots (which are somewhat heavy and clunky) all day. I told her I don't, because men, as a rule, can rarely be bothered with such things.

But then I started thinking about it, and I realized it would make so much sense to have shoes at work and be able to change out of my boots. Of course, I could just take off my boots and walk around the office in my socks, but there's something a bit presumptuous about that. In fact, I worked with a guy some years back who would remove his shoes as soon as he arrived at the office every day, and spend the day walking around in his socks. He was a nice enough guy, but still...

So I went down to the basement closet annex and retrieved the blucher mocs I bought from L.L. Bean a couple of months ago. They are decidedly not winter shoes (which is why they were in storage), but they're quite suitable for wearing around the office. So thanks, PB, for the suggestion. It's nice not to feel quite so weighted down all day.

1 comment:

A Proper Bostonian said...

I'm glad I could help. But I'm sorry to confess that I spent years walking around offices barefoot in the summer time. Looking back, I have no idea why I thought that was okay. It must have been a simpler time.