24 February 2011

Spurned by Spooks

Well, this isn't good: You may recall me mentioning the BBC spy show Spooks (aka MI-5) that's been running on the Boston PBS station. The last episode of season 8 airs tomorrow night, so I went to the WGBH web site to read whatever one-sentence blurb they might have about the first episode of season 9.

I was quite surprised to see that next week's scheduled episode is... the first episode of season 1. So they're going back to the beginning? Season 9 aired in the UK this past fall, but I guess WGBH's agreement to air the show didn't include season 9, or maybe the BBC doesn't want it airing here just yet; I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of international licensing rights for TV shows.

Okay, not to worry, I've watched a good chunk of this show via Netflix, so I just slid over there and... no season 9. According to the show's Wikipedia page, DVDs for each season are released in the US each January, so the season 9 DVD will come out... next January? That can't be right. It also says that season 8 just came out on DVD last month, and I'm quite sure Netflix had it available to rent before that.

However you look at it, this is bad news for fans of the show. If I got any of you interested, I apologize. Hopefully season 9 will become available some time before next January; maybe Netflix will make it available for streaming as they've done with most of the other seasons. Let's just hope season 8 doesn't end with a cliffhanger—some seasons have, others haven't.

No comments: