25 January 2013

Medical Advice

Yesterday I saw a podiatrist. X-rays were taken which showed the presence of a small heel spur, confirming that the pain is, as suspected, due to plantar fascitis. But the small size of the spur means it hasn't progressed far and is still manageable.

I already know the basic parameters of what I need to be doing: ice, not heat; various stretching exercises; heel cushion inserts for my shoes; and wearing shoes with a defined heel. In other words, flatter shoes are bad. I spend the summer in boat shoes and flat-soled sneakers like Vans, so I may have contributed to this unknowingly.

For people whose pain does not get better, the podiatrist typically recommends physical therapy, and if that doesn't help, a cortisone injection. I hope my situation does not progress to that point. I just want to be able to walk with as little pain as possible.

1 comment:

Midask9 said...

Wondering - do you use a night splint for the plantar fascitis? I had this a couple years back, pain is nearly unbearable, but wearing the splint while sleeping helped stretch the foot. There are a few types, hard plastic, soft sock type - and I even found a walking one on google. The walking one worked the best, as each does the same - pulls the toes up, forcing the heel down. I had a horrible time if I had to get up during the night without the walking splint. If you don't have a splint already, I would suggest locating one. Made a world of difference for me.