31 January 2013

Shut It Down

After seven seasons and around 130 episodes (edit: Tina Fey says 140, so I'll go with her number), 30 Rock says goodbye tonight with a one-hour episode (8 pm Eastern on NBC). I have loved this show since it premiered in 2006, and my sadness at its end is something I don't usually experience with TV shows, regardless of how good they are.

Tina Fey and the other writers conjured an alternate-universe NBC full of crazy shows and crazier characters that somehow seemed like it was real, or at least could be real. My favorite moments include the two live episodes from seasons five and six, any episode with Liz's clueless ex-boyfriend Dennis Duffy, and the many appearances by NBC News's Brian Williams.

Last year I rewatched all of seasons one through five in order (the show airs in syndication on many channels) and I will probably do it all over again at some point, adding seasons six and seven (it's also on Netflix streaming). To me it's just that funny; I'll never get tired of it, and it will likely end up as one of my top five all-time favorite TV shows. (I think Liz would approve.)

There's been a LOT written about the show in the weeks leading up to its finale (a lengthy list is here), more than one could hope to get through in a reasonable amount of time, but you could do worse than reading these appreciations from Vulture's Matt Seitz and HitFix's Alan Sepinwall, and then take a spin with the Jack Donaghy Insult Generator.

No comments: