29 May 2015

Retro Video Unit (5/29/15)

(The biweekly video clip and the monthly concert happen to fall on the same day this time around, so I thought I'd post this one early.)

I've mainly stuck to the 1970s and '80s for my video selections because that's when I was watching music videos and paying attention to them. In the late '80s and early '90s MTV had a weekly show called "120 Minutes" that featured clips by alternative artists. I usually recorded it on my VCR (!) so I could see videos by bands I liked, and occasionally get introduced to bands I hadn't heard of.

By the time his album Brick by Brick came out in 1990, Iggy Pop had already been performing and recording for about a quarter-century, but the album got quite a bit of airplay on alternative radio and raised his profile quite a bit higher than it had been for some time.

I've never been a huge fan of his work, but I have enjoyed most of it, and I appreciate his status as a progenitor of punk, a spiritual godfather to thousands of performers and bands, and a collaborator with other musicians like David Bowie.



The song "Candy," featuring Kate Pierson of The B-52's, stands out to me from the rest of the album. I haven't heard it in a long time, but it popped into my head a couple of days ago for no reason, which I took as a sign that I should feature it this time.

(Side note: Iggy has always rocked those bleached-out jeans, which seem to be back in fashion.)

No comments: