31 May 2015

Retro Video Unit, Concert Edition (5/29/15)

Yes, it's a couple of days late, but I have a good excuse: I was working for much of this week, including yesterday, so my attention was required elsewhere.



Anyway, I've known since I started this offshoot of RVU that I wanted to feature a David Bowie concert. If I need to explain why to you, then you probably need to go back and do some remedial work in "pop and rock music of the mid-to-late 20th century." The first legitimate rock album I ever bought was ChangesOne, which I think came out in 1975. Bowie's music marked the point where I first understood fully that there was deeper meaning being conveyed within and through a song, and to this day his work is among the most significant and meaningful to me in music.

I chose a concert from this specific tour because it's so highly theatrical, with an elaborate stage design. Sometimes that sort of thing can backfire or overshadow a performer, but here it's part of the appeal.

No comments: