06 July 2015

Car Stuff: A Flash of Red

Didn't get to do this last week, but I'm trying to get back to some sort of rhythm regarding posts. Some interesting vehicles have appeared lately, and I have been able to get pictures of most of them. However, the quality varies.

This shot was taken while we were driving, which explains why it's somewhat blurry. There's a part of McGrath Highway in Somerville that is sort of like Comm. Ave. in Allston, with a parallel strip of roadway for parking, and that's where I spotted this red Chevy.
It's a 1969 Impala Custom Coupe, which means it's an Impala with the top-trim Caprice's more formal roofline. (There was also an Impala Sport Coupe.) This model had arrived the previous year and proved quite popular. As I've written about before, by the late 1960s sportiness had largely migrated from full-size cars to midsize and "pony car" offerings, and it was being replaced by a more commodified version of luxury.

If this car wasn't red I probably would not have noticed it in time to get a photo. It looks pretty good, with the available rally wheels and white top (which I think was painted, and not vinyl), and what appear to be dual exhausts. We passed through the same area a few days later and I had my phone ready to get more pictures, but the car wasn't there. I'm still hoping to see it again.

No comments: