21 July 2015

Going Underground

Every day when I leave work, I walk past the entrance to the tunnel in Harvard Square that the MBTA buses use, and every day I have to resist the urge to walk down it instead of going around the corner and walking one more short block to the proper entrance that pedestrians use.

I did walk in the tunnel once, a long time ago, but I walked out of it after getting off a bus, when I knew there were no other buses coming up behind me. Obviously pedestrians are not supposed to do this; there are signs posted saying not to. What can I say, I have moments where I get bored easily and think of doing something spontaneously. I didn't do it to defy the sign, I did it just because I was curious. It doesn't happen as much as it used to, which is probably better for my longevity.

When I get to the bus boarding area in the tunnel, I watch the buses come through and stack up, waiting for the first bus to finish boarding, and I wonder how the tunnel never got widened enough so that buses might be able to get around each other. Am I the only one who thinks about such things?

No comments: