20 October 2009

The Color Blue

(Caution: Mad Men spoilers...)

So, Betty finally got into the desk drawer. I think we all expected her to eventually; it was just a question of when. Obviously she's upset, and being such an emotional child, she's going to stay that way.

As usual, more questions than answers. For me, Betty's discovery raised more questions about Don than about her: why would Don keep all that sensitive, potentially incriminating stuff in the drawer to begin with, and then leave the keys in his robe pocket? It would be easy, and make much more sense, for him to get a safe deposit box near the office. And he's much too careful about everything.

I can understand him wanting to keep his family photos nearby, but in that case he should have had copies made so there would be no revelatory writing on the back. But the deed, and the divorce papers? (By the way, shouldn't Anna have that deed?) The more I think about it, the more I think Don wanted Betty to find these things. I think part of him enjoys putting her through the mind games. But I could be totally wrong. This show usually doesn't end up going where you think it will, which is one of the reasons I love it so much.

I am going to make one prediction, though: Miss Farrell was in fact the one who called the Drapers' house, even though she denied it, and she is going to wig the fuck out at some point before the season ends. I mean, showing up on Don's commuter train? That's getting dangerously close to Fatal Attraction territory.

No comments: