06 December 2013

Retro Video Unit (12/6/13)

(I overlooked this last week due to the holiday, so we'll have one today and one next Friday to get back on schedule...)

I've had this one in the back of my mind for a long time, but I'd never been able to find a decent clip of it. Someone finally obliged me by uploading this a few months ago. I'm betting very few of you have ever heard of this band, let alone heard this song, "Love and Loneliness" by The Motors:



The Motors were a British band that popped up around the same time as a bunch of other artists from the UK in the late 1970s (Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Graham Parker, Joe Jackson). When it became apparent that new wave as a music genre had staying power, record company executives scrambled to sign whatever performers they could find that were unfamiliar on this side of the Atlantic.

While this isn't much of a video, it serves the song well. The LP it came from, called Tenement Steps, had an unusual cover with a black-and-white graphic of steps. The upper left and lower right corners of the cover were cut off intentionally to blend in with the graphic. I still have a copy of this album, and I've been thinking it may be time to consider trying to sell some of my old LPs.

No comments: