30 June 2011

Shameless Plug: My Loss Can Be Your Gain

So yeah, no post yesterday—sorry about that, it was just one of those days. We had a meeting at work and it seemed I was the only person who wasn't aware of it (there was nothing on the Outlook calendar and nothing in my email), then I kind of skipped over lunch because I needed to leave early for a dentist appointment, plus there was a cake for a departing intern, and before I knew it, it was 10:30 pm and I needed to start getting ready for bed.

You may remember me talking a few weeks ago about the SeaVees sneakers I bought from Zappos. I like them a lot, and in the interim I bought another pair in a different style direct from the company. But after wearing both pairs for a couple of days each, I ran into something that has happened before, and which my friend the Proper Bostonian has also experienced and talked about more than once: sometimes, you buy a pair of shoes and try them on, and everything seems fine, but then you wear them and walk around in them for a normal day and realize they don't fit properly after all, but now you can't return them.

Even without socks (the only way to wear canvas sneakers, really) the fit is very snug, and given the problems I have getting shoes that fit well in general, it's simply not worth it to wear shoes that are not comfortable. The main issue for me seems to be the toe box, which is fairly low from top to bottom. Otherwise they fit well and have nicely cushioned foam footbeds.

I was able to order one style in the next larger size from Zappos, but I can't find the red canvas ones in the proper size anywhere. Meanwhile, I've decided that the sensible thing is to sell the ones that don't fit; I've worn each pair only twice, so they're still basically new. Both are size 11, but they run small even by athletic shoe standards, so they would most likely fit someone who normally wears a size 10 shoe. I've posted them on Style Forum, and if you happen to be interested but are not a member, please contact me through the email link over there in the right column.

1 comment:

A Proper Bostonian said...

Damn shoes! Why won't they leave us alone? I had to return two pairs of sandals and some darling gold flip flops. Don't forget my trick of putting painter's tape on the soles before you take 'em for a spin.