01 August 2011

Brain Is Confused

Have you ever witnessed something that made no sense at all? I had a moment like that this morning.

I was on my way to work on the Orange Line. The train pulled into Sullivan, a couple of people got off, a few people got on. The car wasn't too crowded overall, and before the doors closed I happened to look across and out onto the platform, where a maintenance person was wet-mopping the concrete and the rubber warning strip.

Wait, what? My brain might as well have made that noise when a needle gets shoved across a record. I mean, I'm all for the T trying to keep stations clean, or at least as clean as possible when thousands of people pass through them each day. But what's the point of mopping down a platform that's outdoors? Unless someone had barfed there a few minutes before the train pulled in? Okay. Otherwise, as Don Draper said to the London Fog people, "It is going to rain."

If I see anyone waxing the concrete, the T's gonna have some 'splaining to do.

No comments: