04 August 2011

Grooming Garage: More Still Isn't Better (For Me)

I've been using my Schick Hydro 3 razor for a little over a year now, and I really like it. In fact I like it so much that I stopped using the older Schick razor I had, even though I still had several months' worth of blades for it. (I still feel a little guilty about that, but not much.)

Recently I ordered some stuff from drugstore.com, and when the package arrived there was a free bonus inside: the five-blade version of the Hydro. I don't find that these extra blades are of any benefit to me, but I figured I should at least try it out.

Nope. The experience was about the same as when I tried the Gillette Fusion ProGlide after they offered to send me one last year. The extra blades make the head awkwardly oversize, which makes getting to the tight spots that much more difficult. (Even the Hydro 3 is a little too large compared to the older Xtreme 3.)

More importantly, I just don't feel any difference between the three-blade and five-blade shaves. There's more irritation, and no difference in how long it takes my beard to grow back. So I'm glad I got the chance to try the Hydro 5, but I'm sticking with the Hydro 3.

No comments: