18 August 2011

More Things on the Way Home

Another interesting trip home, though not like the other day. I dropped off a package at the post office on MIlk Street, and was walking along Devonshire toward State station when I saw one of those costumed Revolutionary actors from around Quincy Market walking toward me, with tricorner hat and all, talking on a cell phone. Bit of a historical disconnect there, for just a moment.

Then, down in the T station, a young lady approached and stood near me. In the faintest of voices, I heard, "Excuse me, sir?"

Expecting to be asked for money, I turned and said, "Yes?"

"Do you like watches?" Figuring she'd looked at my wrist and seen that I was wearing a nice one, then wondering if someone who knows me might have been playing some sort of joke, I hesitated for a moment, then answered "...yes?"

"Because I have one I'm trying to sell, would you like to buy it?"

Edging away slightly: "No thank you, that's okay..." Fortunately the train was arriving at that very moment, so I got on as quickly as I could.


No comments: