27 September 2011

Brand New Bag

Allen Edmonds is currently having its biggest sale of the year, through Columbus Day. If you're in need of new shoes, this is an excellent time to take advantage of reduced prices on American-made shoes. I bought my first pair last year, but I'm abstaining from the sale this time around. There are definitely shoes I'm interested in, but I'm staying away in the interest of fiscal responsibility.

I did make a recent accessory purchase, one I'll be using for at least the next several years. I replaced the bag I've been carrying daily for the past four years or so. My main justification for getting another bag was that I wanted something water resistant, but to be honest, after using the bag every day for that time, I was simply ready for a change. (I called it a birthday present to myself.)

I had also become more aware of companies making products in the USA, like Filson, J.W. Hulme, Duluth Pack, and Frost River. Unfortunately, none of them had quite what I was looking for, but that doesn't mean their products aren't good; any of them are worthy of your consideration.

Then I came across a small company based in New York called Ernest Alexander. They started with a line of waxed canvas luggage and messenger bags, and they make their products right in New York City. They had a couple of bag styles that interested me. I had bookmarked their site some time ago, and went back when I decided I was ready to replace my older bag.

Another thing that I liked was the multiple color choices. The bag I was replacing was sort of olive with brown leather trim, so I was hoping to find something different from those colors. I was originally leaning toward the Voldis in gray, but I wasn't sure how I'd feel about those side pockets, and while I prefer a bag with dual closures, I didn't want to have to be latching and undoing those two buckles all the time. So instead I chose the Walker, which is available in the same gray waxed fabric. It has only one closure, but it's hidden under the flap, which gives it a cleaner outside appearance. The leather strap is a very dark brown, definitely darker than the trim on my previous bag.

Other good stuff: if you place an order by 1 pm Eastern time, your order will ship out the same day, and shipping is included in the price. Since I'm only a couple hundred miles from New York, I got mine the next day. It arrived at my office in an enormous box, much larger than necessary to hold one bag. Inside the box was a huge matte black Ernest Alexander shopping bag on its side. Inside the bag was my bag, wrapped in black tissue paper. A printed card attached to the tissue with a sticker read, "Many thanks—we hope you enjoy your purchase with compliments." My name was written at the top, and at the bottom it was signed "The Ernest Alexander Team." This presentation is just a nice touch that makes the arrival and unboxing of a product more memorable.

I've been using the bag for a couple of weeks now, and the biggest adjustment has been the placement of the pockets, but I love how well it's made, and it also weighs less than my previous bag, so it's more comfortable to carry.

P.S. When I made my purchase, I was able to take advantage of a short-lived discount code related to Fashion Week; there may be others out there, but I don't know. And if you find Ernest Alexander's waxed canvas bags too pricey, they've just introduced a line of nylon bags at lower prices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Your new bag sounds great- you will use it for many years I'm sure. I actually found a TYPO wow shocked.
Should have been (weighs less) I think-byeeee for now!

Some Assembly Required said...

Arrrgh... typo corrected!