22 September 2011

Fall Isn't Ready

Most people can't wait for summer, and dread when it ends. I've always been the inverse: I can't wait for fall, both for the cooler temperatures and because I'm tired of wearing all my warm-weather clothes. But last weekend's cool-down was just a head-fake; we're back into the 70s, it's muggy and damp, and it's going to be that way for the next four days at least. I'm definitely ready for fall, but fall isn't ready for us.

Yesterday I met the Proper Bostonian for lunch at a Newbury Street restaurant with an outdoor patio, and she was surprised that I was wearing shorts, but as I've said before, if you try to dress for the calendar rather than the actual weather of the moment, you will almost certainly end up uncomfortable. I don't like it, but it's just how things are around here.

I have been trying to be more careful with my spending now that the Mrs. is a full-time student and not bringing in a regular income. Over the past couple of months I've made just a few purchases of fall items: a couple of shirts, a new pair of jeans. But I've resisted buying more things than I've purchased, and that will continue. To be honest, I hardly need any clothing; what I do need is to get myself in gear and sell some of the excess stuff I've accumulated over the past couple of years.

Today I did order boots from Lands' End Canvas with a combination of a 25% discount and a $60 voucher I purchased for $30 through LivingSocial in August. I've been waiting for Lands' End to offer a Canvas-specific discount (or at least one that didn't exclude LEC, as most of them do these days) so I could make the purchase this way. I wrote about these boots last year, pointing out their resemblance to Alden's "Indy" boots, and I've been thinking about buying them for a long time, but I decided to wait until I could get this sort of a deal on them. For those of you who prefer the look of the Alden boots, LEC has obliged with a moc-toe version that looks even more like the Indy, but I'm staying with my preference for plain-toes.

(By the way, have you noticed that Lands' End isn't being as generous with the Canvas offers as they were last year? I guess it's a victim of its own popularity.)

2 comments:

A Proper Bostonian said...

I was surprised because you were wearing shorts to the OFFICE, not that because was seasonally inappropriate. And then you explained that your office was okay with that. As you know, I'm an old woman, and yet I wear shorts constantly, and this will continue into October if this weather doesn't settle down and act autumnal!

Some Assembly Required said...

You're right, my memory of that was faulty. But we had lunch a few weeks ago and I was wearing shorts that day too...